Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Guest Curator: Historical Influences Discovered on Etsy


Handpicked on Etsy by Colleen of KCRlehrstudio
In Colleen's own words:
From Sutton Hoo to Babylon to Byzantium to today! History does inspire!
Artists throughout history knew that close and consistent contact with professional mentors, art of the past, cultural influences and contemporary practitioners was the best ‘school of art’ possible. ( … this is what the ETSY LOUNGE does so well)

And… indeed, as I looked for works created by artists who are dedicated to adventurous creative thought, critical contemplation and the crafting of meaning as well as substance, I was inspired!

I found artists who used traditional aspects of art historical periods and cultures but then crossed those traditional boundaries to create original work. These works display traditions of the past, including nostalgia, romance, intuition, and reaction to cultural circumstances and yet create new meanings in this contemporary moment.

Click on the pictures to go directly to these Etsy listings. Prices range from $15.50 to $1,000. Featured works from NostalgicStudio, okarauzum, tramontana, ErickBegay, KatsaraYarns, vintageshades, bionicunicorn, braveart1, Eveldasneverland, castaway17, bynicola, gemartist, soulharborjewelry, JolieFaireMedieval


ABOUT TODAY'S GUEST CURATOR: Colleen of KCRlehrstudio is a gifted artist who has also been a mentor to her high school art students. Visit her Etsy store for a visual feast of jewelry and recent pieces inspired by the Sonoran desert.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I LOVE Bionic Unicorn. I've been following her stuff for awhile :)

Andria said...

I'm with you, jarsika! She's been featured at EtsyLounge before (twice, I think.) This time, she's picked by a guest curator instead of me.

Andria said...

I have to thank Colleen for including my Katsara Relic Pin in this assemblage. Of course I love this piece, but it very affirming to know Colleen admires it enough to give it space in her showcase.

soulharborjewelry said...

Thank you for including my Mystic Tree pendant here, I am deeply honored to be in such grand company!

Terah Ware said...

Thank you for showcasing "Watermarked Indigo". This collaborative gallery of old is brilliant!

Love your way,

Terah Ware
www.nostalgicstudio.com

KCR Lehr Studio said...

Andria, Thanks so very much for the opportunity to gather these unique artists and their works. Your blog design and management makes everything look so professional and creative.

I really enjoyed the process and I was so impressed by these artisans. Their work is inspiring! I hope they all enjoy a renewed sense of commitment to their passion.
Have an artfilled day!
Colleen

Andria said...

Colleen, I love your post and selections, and hope you'll consider doing this process again. It is great to have your voice here, contributing with your comments and with this piece.

Alessia said...

Thank you for having appreciated my icon painted love, Etsy Lounge is a great opportunity and a great idea :)

Alessia G. Tramontana, Italy